When people decide to patent, the inevitable question of "how much will it cost?" comes up. While not everyone has a handy copy of each AIPLA cost survey, Alan Kasper, First Vice-President of the AIPLA, provided a brief glimpse into the costs involved in his testimony before Congress:
Average Cost of Preparation:
• Preparation and filing of an original application of minimal complexity (10 page specification, 10 claims) = $8,548.00.
• Relatively complex biotechnology/chemical cases = $15,398.00
• Relatively complex mechanical cases = $11,482.00• Relatively complex electrical/computer cases = $13,684
The average cost for filing an Amendment
• Minimal complexity = $2,244.00
• Relatively complex biotechnology/chemical case = $4,448.00
• Relatively complex electrical/computer case = $3,910.00
• Relatively complex mechanical case is = $3,506.00
The government fees related to such filings are the same (unless the Applicant is a small entity) -- $1,030.00. The cost for filing an RCE is $810.00 plus a service charge (around $350.00). The cost for filing of a continuation application is $1,030.00 plus a service charge (around $585.00).